Muckross House and Gardens
is a magnificent Victorian mansion completed in 1843
for Henry Arthur Herbert. It is the last in a series of large houses
constructed by the Herbert family on their lands at Muckross.
The location of the House is spectacular, close to the eastern shore
of Muckross Lake and set beneath the impressive backdrop of Torc and
The Herberts sold the estate in 1899, and after a short ownership by
Lord Ardilaun (of the Guinness brewing family) it was purchased by
the wealthy American William Bowers Bourn in 1910 as a wedding
present for his daughter Maud and son-in-law Arthur Vincent.
After the premature death of Maud, the house and estate were donated
to the Nation by Arthur Vincent and his parents-in-law in 1932.
Please view our Photo Gallery from the Menu Bar.